Friday, August 23, 2013

I have landed

Part of me woke up the morning I was leaving feeling like Bilbo in that scene from The Hobbit.  I wanted to run around yelling that I was going on an adventure!

That part was quickly overridden when I arrived at the Dayton airport and was promptly told that there was an issue with my visa and they didn't think they could let me on the plane to go on to Detroit and from there to the Philippines.  A rather frantic phone call to Elizabeth Boe ensued, in addition to making the people at the Delta desk call their supervisors to find the clause that would let me onboard.  Aside from stressing me out, I am thankful to the people working the desk at Delta, as they did try very hard to find the way to let me on the plane, and went the extra mile calling their supervisors to find the exemption I needed. 

Meeting up with Ashley Cameron in Detroit also helped, as she'd gone through the same issues with Delta that morning.  We were on the same flight from Detroit to Nagoya to Manilla, though since it was a 747, once we were on the flight we never saw each other.  I had never understood how big one of those planes really was until I was getting off in Manilla.  The plane had seemed so empty, with most people having at least one or two spare seats around them, unlike what we'd had flying between Detroit and Nagoya.  But I got off about midway through disembarkation and waited for Ashley so that we could go through immigration and customs together, and I just kept seeing more and more people getting off the plane.  It was a flood of people. 

After over 24 hours of travel time, Ashley and I were so relieved to see Andrew and Lloyd ready to pick us up.  We got a bit of an introduction to late-night Manilla traffic patterns, which might have scared me more had Lloyd not so obviously had it handled, or if I'd actually been all the way awake.  I hadn't done more than doze for an hour or so on the flights, so I think at that point I was going on five or six hours of rest in the past 36. 

I'm typing this now from Horeb House at the Episcopal center in Quezon.  I woke this morning to the sounds of roosters crowing and a couple of birds who thought my room's AC vent was the perfect place to sit and sing for a bit.  Ashley and I found the wi-fi access code and cheerfully dug in to wade through our built-up e-mails.  More as I find out what I'll be doing the next few days in Manilla!

5 comments:

  1. I can so see you flying around like Bilbo! I had the same feeling. Glad you guys made it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My theory is that the TSA has to make everyone panic- it's gotta be policy. My insulin, your visa, Ellis's middle name (Muhammad); good on you for not letting it get you down! Also, this feels strangely like watching a movie starring you. I may be hooked on this blog. Update often. -Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that everything was handled so well! And happy to see that you didn't end up having to turn around before you got off the ground. Love the vision of Birdies in your AC vent!!! Sounds so peaceful. Just the sort of place you can thrive! Love to you and everyone there and others just starting out on their missions. Love, Auntie Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you made it safely! I look forward to hearing about your experiences as you journey "there and back again "!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from Brazil from a last year's YASC-er (I got to hang out with Ashley at a mission conference in Colombia in May, and Andrew is my homeboy. So glad you are going to be in the Philippines! and not only that, but the southern Philippines -- I'm from the Diocese of Olympia, and we have a relationship with them :) I know that my bishop, Greg Rickel, also visited them, too -- and when I was having visa issues with Brazil, the Church Center was eying the possibility of maybe sending me to the southern Philippines for 6 months, then send me out to Brazil with your guys' year -- but after some delays, Brazil panned out after all.

    Hope you get rested up -- where will you be at exactly? :)

    I hope to follow you and everyone else's blogs from this year, and I wish you the best on this adventure! All the best from Sao Paulo --

    ReplyDelete