Monday, April 1, 2013

Intro

Welcome.

I'm new here, but you'll be seeing more of me as the next year and a bit unfolds.  For today, I thought I'd post a brief introduction:

Who am I?

I am Margaret, a twenty-seven year old who spends most of her time currently taking care of small children and reading.  Give me a few months, and some of that will be changing.

What am I doing here?

Getting ready to go on an adventure of a lifetime!  I've been called to spend a year as part of Young Adult Service Corps, a mission/service opportunity with the Episcopal Church.  As of now, I've been assigned to serve in the Diocese of the Southern Philippines.  What I'll be doing is still somewhat in the air, though we're hoping I'll be working in a parochial school as a teacher.

The where and when have just been answered, so let's just skip on to why.  Why am I doing this?

Because how else would I get a chance to go halfway across the world, meet new people and hear their stories, and get a chance to help them and walk along with them on their road for a whole year?  I've had a chance to do service and teach in America, as part of Americorps, but this is a chance to see a part of the world I'd never get to see otherwise, and to not be just another tourist.

And that's also the reason for the title of this blog.  It's not just about the services I will do while I'm there, or what I will get back for going.  It's about the stories we will share in the process, as we learn from and listen to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment